Who to Contact

If you know someone who has tampered with their meter or is attempting to defraud their electricity or gas supplier please fill out the form under “Report Fraud”. Please note that if you do not provide an address for the alleged tampering we will not be able to investigate.

Alternatively, you can contact the company listed in the attachment (UKRPA Contact Map) for the electricity distribution area where you feel the tampering is taking place, or if you know the energy supplier.

If you smell gas or are worried that fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, please call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999.

All communication with the UKRPA, and especially personal data, is kept confidential and is not shared with third parties, unless strictly necessary, in conformity with the ‘Disclosure of Your Information’ clause in our Legal & Privacy Statement.

Please also note that reporting on individuals tampering with electricity and gas meters does not constitute a breach of GDPR conditions. Under the GDPR, processing of personal data by “competent authorities for the purposes of the prevention, investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties, including the safeguarding against and the prevention of threats to public security” is outside the scope of this Regulation (Article 2.2.d).

Furthermore, the provision of information to the competent authorities has the lawful basis for processing as stated in Article 6.1.e: “processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller”.

Document Title Type Pub Date
PDF 20/04/2018